Child molester gets 152 years

AP

Dean Arthur Schwartzmiller looks around the courtroom San Jose, Calif., courtroom, Monday, Jan. 29, 2007, before he was sentenced to 150 years to life for sexually abusing two 12-year-old boys. Schwartzmiller, 64, a child molester with convictions in se The Associated Press

By The Associated Press

SAN JOSE, Calif. – A man prosecutors say is one of the nation’s most prolific child molesters was sentenced Monday to 152 years in prison for abusing two 12-year-old boys.

Dean Arthur Schwartzmiller, 65, leaned on a cane and said nothing in his defense as he was sentenced for child molestation and possession of child pornography.

When Schwartzmiller was arrested in June 2005, investigators found a memoir describing abuse, binders full of child pornography and 1,500 notebook pages with headings including “blond boys,” “no, but yes boys,” and “best of the best, 13 and under.”

Schwartzmiller, who had at least three molestation convictions and a dozen arrests over three decades, molested hundreds of boys, prosecutor Steve Fein said.

Schwartzmiller acted as his own attorney during his October trial, telling the jury that he was innocent and maligned by a society that doesn’t accept men who love boys. He also testified that his memoir and notebook entries were fiction.

He said he could not have molested the two San Jose boys, who are cousins, because he was either at a construction job or bedridden with a bad back at the time.

And he blamed his roommate, also a convicted child molester, for the pornography.

Schwartzmiller has been arrested on child molestation charges in New York, Idaho, Oregon, Arkansas and Washington.

He did not register as a sex offender, so he did not appear in the Megan’s Law databases in California or other states, police said.