Former Chief portrayers ask UI for control of symbol

By Courtney Linehan

A group of alumni who were the portrayers of Chief Illiniwek sent a letter to the Board of Trustees and president B. Joseph White on Wednesday, requesting they be granted control of the 80-year-old tradition.

The letter, signed simply “Former Chief Illiniweks,” asks that the Chief Illiniwek trademark logo be assigned to a nonprofit organization established by former Chiefs. The funding from the use of the logo would be donated for a “constructive program” within and unassociated with the University of Illinois.

“The purpose of the letter is to say that the Chiefs have been involved in the process, so please let us finish that process,” said Steve Raquel, who portrayed Chief Illiniwek in the early 1990s.

“In light of the potential for outside forces, please give us the opportunity to finish our process.” Raquel said. “We don’t want to be forced out of the opportunity to help the University in terms of the tradition.”

Board of Trustees spokesman Tom Hardy said this letter is one of many opinions that have become part of the Board’s work toward a “consensus resolution.” He said the University will consider the former Chiefs’ opinion, but it will hold no more weight than any other voice.

“Some want us to retire the Chief, some want us to retain it. A Native American tribe has asked us to return the regalia, now the former Chiefs come and ask for guardianship if and when change happens,” Hardy said. “They’re putting in writing and on the record their request for some consideration in the process.”

Raquel said the letter is partially a reaction to perceived pressure from Illinois Senate President Emil Jones, a well-known opponent of Chief Illiniwek. Raquel said the group of former Chiefs would rather see the tradition taken out of the University’s hands than to see it terminated before the former Chiefs suggest their idea for the symbol’s future.

“We feel that Emil Jones is applying pressure to the University to eliminate this tradition. We’ve been in discussions with the University, both formal and informal,” Raquel said. “We’re still in that process, coming to closure on our end. If someone is going to apply pressure to end the tradition, we think that is a disservice to the 80 year tradition that has been important to many peoples’ lives, including our own.”

In August 2005, the NCAA called for Illinois and nearly three dozen other schools to discontinue the use of what it considered “hostile and abusive” American Indian mascots, logos and nicknames. Since the school’s final appeal was rejected last spring, Illinois has been in violation of NCAA policy, and has been ruled ineligible to host postseason competitions.

While he declined to go into detail about his group’s proposal for Illiniwek’s fate, Raquel said the former Chiefs’ ultimate suggestion will ensure the University is no longer in violation of the NCAA policy.

“When we look at the spectrum of where the tradition can go, there’s possibilities from nothing changing to eliminating the Chief altogether,” Raquel said. “What we’re looking at is where on the spectrum the tradition can live, what option will get the tradition to live and get Illinois off this list.”

This comes as Mahomet General Assemblyman Chapin Rose proposed a bill that would tax the NCAA 10 percent of its gross earnings in Illinois. Rose told the Associated Press that his proposed tax was more about the NCAA’s failure as a tax-exempt, not-for-profit organization that does not go far enough to help college athletes graduate.

But Rose also asserts that he is pro-Chief.

Hardy said the only timetable on making changes to the Chief tradition is a promise from Board chairman Larry Eppley that the issue will be settled in 2007. Hardy also said the Board has not yet settled on one course of action.