UI grad competes on ‘Survivor’

By Lauren Mangurten

Mookie Lee, 25, alumnus in LAS, is competing to be the next survivor on CBS’s “Survivor: Fiji.”

Lee graduated from the University in 2003 with a Bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, according to Lee’s profile on the CBS Web Site. He currently works as a program manager at an Internet loan company in Chicago.

“I came out here for the experience, just to understand what it means to not have materialistic things, to live very meager,” said Lee in a video on the Web site.

Lee said he is good at interacting with people, at work, and elsewhere which he thinks will help him on the show.

“I’m good at manipulating people and getting along with people.” Lee said in the video. “I think it’s a big people game.”

Lee said attributes which may hold him back include his goofy personality and lack of cardiovascular conditioning.

“I think people will be surprised that I would be on Survivor because I’m a very city person,” Lee said. “I like to sleep in a bed. I like to eat decent meals. I think … people watching me catch my own fish, start a fire, sleeping on palm trees … will be very surprised.”

“Survivor: Fiji” began airing on CBS Thursday, Feb. 8.