Carle Hospital to expand, more details to come later

By Pamela Nisivaco

Carle Hospital is looking to begin a major expansion project, Tom Carrino, economic development manager for the city of Urbana, announced at Monday night’s city council meeting.

Carrino said the project will be explained further at a later meeting of the council.

Carle will also be holding a neighborhood meeting to inform Urbana residents of the expansion project’s possible effect on housing prices, relocation and property taxes.

Carrino said construction on ‘The Pointe at U of I,’ 1710 S. Philo Rd., is moving forward.

The property is a multi-use development with both residential and commercial components, but these components are separate, Carrino said.

The developer is constructing a residential building and a separate strip for the commercial component, he said.

A city staffer informed the council that leaf collection began this week in Urbana.

Leaves will be collected on regular recycling days.

Mayoral appointments of Tyler Fitch to the Urbana Plan Commission and Ben Grosser to the Development Review Board were both approved by the council.

Ward 5 Council Member Dennis Roberts congratulated the council on their selection for the appointments, adding that he knows Fitch personally and thinks he will do an excellent job.

The next meeting of the Urbana City Council will be held Monday, April 9 at the Urbana City Council chambers, 400 S. Race St., at 7 p.m. For agendas and more information, visit http://www.ci.urbana.il.us/.