Creator of ‘Girls Gone Wild’ sued

AP

Joe Francis, center, uses papers to block his face as he leaves the federal courthouse in Panama City, Fla., on Thursday, April 12, 2007. Francis was charged Wednesday, April 25, 2007, in Los Angeles with misdemeanor sexual battery for allegedly groping a The Associated Press

By The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES – Joe Francis, the millionaire founder of the “Girls Gone Wild” video empire, was charged Wednesday with misdemeanor sexual battery for allegedly groping an 18-year-old woman.

Francis allegedly touched the woman’s breast and buttocks repeatedly despite pleas to stop, said city attorney spokesman Frank Mateljan.

Mateljan said the alleged incident took place at a Jan. 10 birthday party at the Geisha House in Hollywood.

The victim, whose name wasn’t disclosed, filed a police report.

Arraignment was set for May 22 at the Hollywood courthouse. Francis, 34, isn’t required to appear. If convicted, he could be sentenced to six months in jail and fined $2,000, Mateljan said.

Francis was jailed in Florida two weeks ago for criminal contempt and was indicted in Nevada this month for federal tax evasion.