Baby is born to Mary Cheney, lesbian daughter of vice president

This photo provided by the White House shows Vice President Dick Cheney, right, and his wife, Lynne Cheney, holding their sixth grandchild Samuel David Cheney, Wednesday, May 23, 2007 in Washington. He weighed 8-lbs., 6-oz, and was born Wednesday morning The Associated Press

AP

By The Associated Press

WASHINGTON – Vice President Dick Cheney’s daughter Mary delivered an 8-pound, 6-ounce baby boy on Wednesday, the first child for her and her female partner of 15 years, Heather Poe.

Samuel David Cheney was born at 9:46 a.m. at Sibley Hospital in Washington, the vice president’s office announced. Vice President Cheney and his wife, Lynne, paid a visit to their new – and sixth – grandchild a few hours later.

Mary Cheney announced in December that she and Poe had decided to start a family. Her decision to become pregnant and raise a child with Poe was criticized in some conservative circles. James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, asserted that children need to be reared by heterosexual married couples, for instance.

The vice president bristled at questions on the topic.

Mary Cheney was an aide to her father during the 2004 campaign and now is vice president for consumer advocacy at AOL.