Man, stepson die in Champaign house fire

Firefighters and police investigate a house in Champaign, Ill., early Friday, June 22, 2007, where an overnight fire resulted in the deaths of a 30-year-old man and his 5-year-old stepson. Two other family members were injured in the blaze. Investigators Darrell Hoemann, The Associated Press

AP

By The Associated Press

A late night fire swept through a home at 2515 Brett Drive, Champaign, killing a man and his stepson, authorities said Friday. Two other family members were injured.

According to a press release, Tom Keeton, 30, and his 5-year-old stepson, Robert Devin Taylor, died shorly before 6 a.m. this morning at separate hospitals, said Champaign County Deputy Coroner Joseph Ward. Autopsies were scheduled for Saturday.

Two other family members, a woman and a girl, were injured, said Champaign Deputy Fire Chief Tim Wild. He did not release the names of the woman and the girl. This morning, the woman and girl continue to be treated at medical facilities.

Crews fought the fire in southwest Champaign for almost two hours. A neighboring house caught fire, but didn’t have much damage, Wild said. The first home was a “total loss,” he said.

“Everybody worked their tails off, but we had a tragic outcome,” Wild said. A crew from the Urbana Fire Department also helped fight the blaze.

Fire investigators remain on the scene searching for a cause to the inferno, according to a press release.

“On behalf of every Champaign firefighter, allow me to extend sincere and heartfelt sympathy to the family of those who did not survive. It’s a tragedy and we grieve with the family, friends and neighbors,” said Fire Chief David Penicook.

Brittany Abeijon contributed to this story