Graffiti trashes cars, presidential hopeful

Some of the 60 city vehicles spray-painted by vandals while they were parked across from Orlando city hall late Saturday night. Investigators say the culprits spray-painted notes such as "Obama smokes crack" and a racial epithet. They also left Michael Lowe, The Associated Press

AP

Some of the 60 city vehicles spray-painted by vandals while they were parked across from Orlando city hall late Saturday night. Investigators say the culprits spray-painted notes such as “Obama smokes crack” and a racial epithet. They also left Michael Lowe, The Associated Press

By The Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. – Police on Sunday were investigating vandals’ spray-painting of dozens of city vehicles here, some with disparaging messages about the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

Authorities think the vandalism to about 60 vehicles, estimated at $10,000 in damage, was done Saturday afternoon, police spokeswoman Sgt. Barbara Jones said.

The vehicles were parked across from City Hall and investigators said culprits tagged messages including “Obama smokes crack” and a racial epithet.

They even left business cards on the vehicles that disparage both the Illinois senator and his rival, Republican John McCain. The cards voice support for Sen. Hillary Clinton, Obama’s former opponent.

Mike Lowe, a videographer working for The Associated Press, first told police about the damage. Police also found that many of the vehicles had open gas tanks.