Vandals damage homes, vehicles

Susan Kantor

Susan Kantor

By Wes Anderson

A string of vandalism has caused thousands of dollars in damage to homes and cars in locations scattered across Champaign, and police are searching for a vehicle they believe belongs to those responsible.

According to police, unknown suspects drove through local neighborhoods and used a high-powered BB or pellet gun to shoot out windows of homes and vehicles parked in the street.

More than 30 incidents have been reported in the last week, according to Rene Dunn, spokeswoman for the Champaign Police Department.

The vandalism appears to be random, without provocation. Locations where damage was reported include blocks of Vine and John streets, Devonshire Drive and Joanne Lane.

Dunn said the high volume of damages being reported has put a strain on police investigators.

“When you have 30 reports, they (investigators) have to review each and every report, so that’s been making things move very slowly,” Dunn said.

Based on a compilation of witness reports, the Champaign police released a description of what they believe is the car the suspect or suspects used. The vehicle is described as a small red or maroon compact, similar in appearance to a Honda Civic, with a rear spoiler and a loud muffler.

The exact nature of the gun used by the offenders is also unknown. While witnesses have reported a BB gun being used, those sold at retail are not capable of breaking glass due to the low weight of the plastic ammunition. However, a pellet gun, commonly used for hunting small game and pest control, fires lead pellets at a speed that could shatter windows.

Just before midnight on Tuesday, a 16-year-old girl was shot with a BB or pellet while standing on the corner of Fourth and Hill streets in Champaign.

Similarly, a 31-year-old man was riding his bicycle on the 800 block of Church Street late Sunday when an unknown car passed by and an unknown offender shot the man with a pellet gun.

In both cases, police were unable to make arrests.