FEMA grants $9.2 million for summer flood relief

By Melissa Silverberg

Illinois levee districts that flooded during the summer months received more than $9 million in assistance on Wednesday from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

FEMA gave $9.2 million in grants to help the state of Illinois afford damages resulting from flooding on the Mississippi River from June through August.

The money will be allocated in varying amounts in response to requests from 28 separate drainage and levee districts around the state.

One of the largest amounts of money that will be given to one area will be $1.7 million for the Indian Grave Drainage District in Quincy, Ill. Water that breached this levee caused flooding to thousands of acres of farms, according to a FEMA press release.

The expenses from a large flood stem from several different factors, including paying for sandbags, public safety operations and damage to public property, said Patti Thompson, spokesperson for the Illinois Emergency Management Agency.

“Basically FEMA pays 75 percent of costs for things like debris removal and things that happen after the flood,” Thompson said. “They pay for 90 percent of expenses from the actual flood fight – these are emergency repair costs.”

More than half the obligation of money, $5 million, will be granted to the Sny Island Drainage and Levee District in New Canton, Ill.

Thompson added that these funds cover what the local districts already had to spend.

“It is assistance to local governments that incurred extensive expenses in responding to and recovering from the flood,” Thompson said.