55 students to travel with Newman to see Pope

By Charlotte Collins

Fifty-five students will travel with the St. John’s Catholic Newman Center to Philadelphia Saturday to attend a mass given by Pope Francis at the Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul.

The students will also attend an event at the Independence Mall later Saturday.

Jennifer LaMontagne, Newman Center’s director of marketing and communications, said they began promoting the event in April and any student who was interested could apply. The process was not selective and all of the applicants were admitted.

“Anyone could have (registered), but we promoted it within our St. John’s Catholic Newman Center Community,” LaMontagne said. “It’s certainly a once-in-a lifetime opportunity.”

The students will be accompanied by two priests and five campus missionaries from the University. LaMontagne said the students will be staying in a campground with students from other campuses and are paying their own way.

“There’s going to be all kinds of other young Catholics who are trying to live out their faith as well as Catholics in all kinds of ages and stages in life,” she said. “I think it’s going to be a really unique opportunity for them.”