Papa Del’s to permanently close Green Street location over winter break

By Jason Chun

Papa Del’s will close the doors of its Green Street location over the University’s winter break in preparation for the opening of its new location.

The Green Street restaurant, 206 E. Green St., has been open for about 40 years. There is no set date for when it will close.

The new location, 1201 S. Neil St. —where the Orange & Brew Saloon & Grille once stood — may seem farther from students on campus, but Andrea Seten, Papa Del’s general manager, said it’s actually quite the contrary.

“(The new location) is actually closer to campus,” Seten said. “It is technically in Campustown, although it doesn’t seem like it since it’s on the other side of Neil.”

Seten isn’t worried about the move affecting the flow of customers though. She said college students have a lot more access to transportation than when she graduated from the University in 1999.

“When I was in school, maybe one kid on a floor in the dorm next to you had a car,” Seten said.

Papa Del’s decided to change locations due to the lack of space available for an expansion on Green Street; she said added parking was especially a concern. The new location will have 160 parking spots and be able to accommodate 500 people.

Seten said the Neil Street location will have a different vibe to it too. Instead of the small, tavern feel of the Green Street location, the new place will have a more, “industrial and factory feel.”

Some of added amenities of the new Neil Street location will include a larger, more “sporty” bar and 53 televisions, including three projectors. Seten said the smallest television is 50 inches.

While the Green Street location is closed, Papa Del’s restaurant at the Crossing, 2510 Village Green Place, will remain open and handle campus deliveries, however there is no dining room at this location. All of the locations will be closed for a small window of time as they make the final move into the Neil Street location.