University plans to test all students for COVID-19 as they return to campus

Photo Courtesy of CDC/ Alissa Eckert, MS; Dan Higgins, MAM

An illustration created by the CDC depicts the structure of the coronavirus.

The University plans on testing all students who are traveling to campus in the fall for COVID-19. 

As the administration intends to reopen campus in the fall, a variety of precautions and measures will be taken to avoid the spread among community members. These precautions could include a combination of in-person and online classes, contact tracing, mask wearing around campus and social distancing. 

Along with the tests, students will get a mobile app to notify them if they were near someone who tested positive for the virus. 

According to the News Gazette, the University is aiming to set up a testing center at the College of Veterinary Medicine. Their goal will be to test between 1,000 and 10,000 people a day. About three to five days after the initial test, people will be tested again to help ensure the accuracy of a negative test result. 

The News Gazette also reports that the university is working with landlords and off-campus housing to form a kind of isolation dorm that can be used by students who need to quarantine but are unable to leave the area. 

The University plans on administering pilot tests soon on students returning to campus, such as student athletes and health professional students.