28 Illinois counties at warning levels for COVID-19

Ryan Ash

A pair of masked students look at a laptop while sitting at a table outside of Lundgren Hall on Sunday. Twenty-eight Illinois counties are reported to be at a warning level for the novel coronavirus.

Twenty-eight Illinois counties are reported to be at a warning level for the novel coronavirus. Champaign County is not considered to be at a warning level; however, a few surrounding counties are.

A county is considered to be at a warning level when two or more of the COVID-19 risk indicators increase, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health.

There are eight indicators to be considered when deciphering warning levels. New cases per 100,000 people, number of deaths, positivity rates, ICU availability, weekly emergency room visits, weekly hospital admissions, amount of tests performed and clusters or outbreaks are all considered.

The counties currently considered at warning levels are as follows: Bond, Boone, Brown, Calhoun, Christian, Clinton, Coles, Crawford, DeKalb, DeWitt, Fayette, Greene, Hancock, Jasper, Lee, Livingston, Macon, Massac, Monroe, Morgan, Pulaski, Putnam, Richland, Saline, St. Clair, Wabash, Washington and Winnebago.

As of Tuesday, Coles County has 1,566 positive cases and is just about 50 miles from Champaign County.

DeWitt County has about 144 positive cases and is about 40 miles from Champaign County. DeWitt County has a population of about 15,700 people.

Livingston County has 445 positive cases and is about 60 miles from Champaign County. Livingston County has a population of about 35,600.

Macon has 1,760 positive cases and is about 50 miles from Champaign County. Macon County has a population of about 104,000.

IDPH reports that warning levels can be reached for a number of different reasons, many common factors for increases could be due to college parties, sports teams or large gatherings and events, weddings and funerals, family gatherings and several other factors.