UPDATE: Incident of ‘mob activity’ occurs on East Green Street, arrests made

By Lisa Chasanov, Staff Writer

An Illini-Alert was sent to campus community members at 12:32 a.m. on Sunday morning regarding an “incident of mob action” on the 300 block of East Green Street near The Red Lion.

According to the alert, an “offender displayed a weapon” and community members were encouraged to avoid the area.

According to a METCAD call at 12:17 a.m., a victim asked police to call an ambulance following an incident involving “Black males, college-aged.”

At 1:02 a.m., a second Illini-Alert informed the campus community that police had made arrests related to the incident and that it was “safe to resume normal activity.”

UPDATE:

In a statement released on Sunday, University police said two arrests were made in response to the incident. UIPD arrested 20-year-old Kayveon Watkins of Champaign and an unnamed 15-year-old offender early Sunday morning. 

In the statement, UIPD said that a man “jumped out” at a female student and invaded her personal space. After this, a male friend of the student attempted to intervene.

The male student was then met with “punching and kicking” by a group of men and the female student was “pushed to the ground,” according to the statement. 

At one point during the attack, one of the men lifted his shirt to display a handgun in his waistband,” the statement said.

According to UIPD, the display of a handgun prompted the University’s department of Public Safety to send the Illini-Alert students received early Sunday morning. 

The male friend was transported to the hospital following the incident and was treated for “several non-life threatening lacerations,” the statement said.

According to the statement, UIPD stopped a vehicle occupied by the offenders soon after the incident. The officers then made arrests and found the handgun, which belonged to the juvenile offender.

Witness reports regarding the number of people in the group vary, but it is suspected that at least three to four people were involved,” UIPD said.