Champaign-Urbana Pride Month events to add to your calendar

Brigida Dockus
A person holds a “LOVE IS LOVE” flag while walking the CU Pride Parade route at CU Pride Fest, 2021.

The first Pride marches were held on the one year anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising, June 28, 1970. Since these first marches, Pride Month has become a worldwide phenomenon, with celebrations taking place in cities around the world, and Champaign-Urbana is no exception. 

While many students and community members are familiar with the annual CU Pride Fest in October, the fest is actually a celebration of LGBTQ+ History Month. CU Pride Month is not to be overshadowed, however, with plenty of events taking place throughout June to join in the global celebration.

Vibrations of Belonging: Sound Meditation for BIPOC & Queer Communities – June 9

Yoga instructor Vivianne Velazquez will offer a 60-minute program teaching breathing exercises, yoga and sound meditation from 3:30-4:30 p.m. at the Garden Pavilion at Meadowbrook park to celebrate BIPOC and queer identities. The event is open to all ages, though people 15 and under must be accompanied by an adult.

Pride Night at Crestview Park – June 12

Urbana Park District’s Neighborhood Night offers an opportunity for Champaign-Urbana residents to come together for local music, free snacks, activities and the opportunity to speak with district officials about their neighborhoods. In collaboration with Uniting Pride of Champaign County, the park district will host the free, Pride-themed night from 6:30-8:30 p.m.

Love for ALLerton: Summer Concert Series – June 14

Allerton Park will also feature the local music scene from 6-9 p.m. on the Gatehouse Lawn, with performances from queer girl group emily the band, and the pop-rock band Homeschool. The event will include a vendor fair featuring LGBTQ+ artists and a $5 per person fee is required upon arrival.

Toast to Taylor St. Pride Celebration – June 22

The second date of the monthly Toast to Taylor Street block party series will take place from 4-11 p.m. in downtown Champaign on the street itself. The event will feature live music, arts and crafts and a variety of vendors in the heart of downtown Champaign.

Anthem After Party – June 22

Following the Toast to Taylor St., Anthem, an LGBTQ+ bar in downtown Champaign, will be waiving the cover for those 19+ to continue the Pride celebration as late as 2 a.m.

Pride Candle Making with UP and Fire Doll Studio – June 25

Uniting Pride will be a collaboration with Fire Doll Studio for a Pride candle making session for ages 8 and up. The 90 minute session will allow attendees to create their own custom scent and craft the candle from scratch. The event is $25 per person and tickets are available here.

UP June Pride Party – June 29

Uniting Pride will also be hosting a free Pride celebration from noon-11 p.m. at Rose Bowl Tavern. The event will feature a drag story time, drag show, live music, local venders and more. The event is open to the public at no cost.

Pride Month can be celebrated in a variety of ways, but for those looking to engage in the Champaign-Urbana queer community, these events are only a fraction of what Pride Month in the CU has to offer. 

For more information about Pride Month events or LGBTQ+ resources, readers can visit the Uniting Pride website or the Gender and Sexuality Resources Center.