AHS offers new master’s program

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

Pending approval from the Illinois Board of Higher Education, the University plans to incorporate a new master’s program in health technology for fall 2020. 

The Master of Science in Health Technology program was developed by the College of Applied Health Sciences working in collaboration with the Grainger College of Engineering. 

“The Master of Science in Health Technology will train students in human factors, healthcare delivery, software applications and hardware development,” said Nicole Holtzclaw-Stone, assistant director of the Health Technology Education Program, in an email. “Students of the MS in Health Technology will be better equipped to develop new technologies that empower people with innovative tools to improve their health and independence.”

Holtzclaw-Stone said recent developments in health technology, like mobile apps and smart devices, hold the promise to improve the quality and efficiency of care. 

“This promise requires a new generation of applied health professionals trained in human factors and software and hardware engineering to meet the needs of the future health care,” she said.

Holtzclaw-Stone said students of any major are encouraged to apply, and applicants will submit their resume, a personal statement/essay, GRE scores, or TOEFL scores for international students, official transcripts and two letters of recommendation through the graduate school. 

Holtzclaw-Stone said she expects the applications to be fairly competitive, so they’ll admit a small cohort to start out.