Letter: Reporting not biased

By The Daily Illini

This letter is in response to a letter titled, “Polls article distorts truth,” printed on Tuesday. I applaud Mr. Prochaska for taking issue with the fact that the Daily Illini printed an article on Monday that stated Sen. John Kerry is currently leading in Illinois polls. However, I don’t agree with his conclusions about The Daily Illini because of it. The DI was merely printing the results of an independent poll, and it surely isn’t the only media source doing so. The fact is most polls show Kerry leading in Illinois, a state which many times has gone to the Democrats. You cannot fault the DI merely for reporting the facts. Doing so does not mean that the DI is “wielding its liberal influence.”

However, I feel that the media’s obsession with endless reporting of poll numbers is wrong. This election has already seen the issues overshadowed too much by mudslinging on both sides, and they cannot be further ignored for constant news reports about which candidate is leading in each state by however many percentage points.

I share the worry expressed in Mr. Prochaska’s letter that the constant reporting of poll numbers may influence undecided voters. However, I trust that each voter can make up his or her own mind. I fail to see how reporting poll numbers stating that any candidate is behind will convince an undecided voter to vote for the other candidate, and I hope that I am right in believing this.

This election year you should vote based on the issues that affect you, your fellow citizens and your country. You should not vote based on mudslinging or poll numbers. I trust that most people will.

Rich Aycock

senior in ACES