Hooking up at the new ARC

By Paul Cruse III

By now, most students have been to the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC). This facility, formally known as IMPE, has received some major upgrades. Some of them are more obvious like the outrageous amount of space, the crazy number of basketball courts, and a design so pretty it makes you want to cry. But behind the basketball courts, treadmills and free weights, lies an information system that allows patrons to get an extremely efficient work-out with features that would impress even the most jaded computer nerd.

ARC’s IT infrastructure does have some expected features such as a patron counter and I-Card scanner, but even these features have improved elements. The patron counter tracks both patrons who enter the lobby of ARC (which is a public space) and those that actually scan their I-Card to gain access to all the facilities and amenities. Though this information may seem unimportant, since most people who come to the ARC are students, Andy Wilke, Assistant Director of Technology, said “This information is useful because it allows us to get a more complete picture of the ARC’s usage. This allows us to see how many people use the fantastic areas open to the general public where we have our Wintergarden lobby/social area which includes a café and a convenience store, the 201 Express.”

Additionally, I-Cards are used to rent equipment. That used to be a manual system, where students would exchange their I-Card for equipment. If the gear was lost, the student would not only had to pay for the equipment but they also wouldn’t get their I-Card back. Under the new system the student’s university account is charged a day or two after e-mail notification that the equipment went missing.

New technology now allows ARC employees to get duties assigned to them via a digital checklist. Each duty is assigned automatically on rotation to ensure that equipment and areas are always clean and working properly. Another digital system tracks needed repairs, determines when equipment should be tuned and allows for easy part ordering.

The information system does more than just keep track of how many people enter the facility and status of equipment. It also allows patrons to get a healthier, more efficient work out. Students can track their workout progress by storing real-time data on their personal USB drives that are installed on many of the machines. One of the coolest pieces of equipment that utilizes an online digital tracking system is the Xpresso Bike.

There are four Xpresso exercise bikes that are networked. They have 12 inch screens that display a first person perspective of a virtual track. The tracks vary in location and difficulty which allows for a simulated uphill climb or wind-resistance. In addition, riders control both the bike’s speed and direction just like a big video game. Using this feature riders can race virtually with the other three bikes, allowing them to see their virtual competitors on their screen, pass them up and cut them off. After the races’ completion, average speed, lap-times and wins can all be stored online for bragging rights.

Soon more work-out progress and other related information will be available online, allowing students to access their progress and set up work-out programs from the comfort of their dorm room. Currently, most of the online features are only accessible to those who have paid for ARC fitness trainers.

Wilke says in the near future, many new features will be available online for free. He says soon students and patrons will be able to reserve resources such as racquetball courts online which means less wait.

Technology has long been demonized for contributing to our unhealthiness and laziness by making our lives more efficient but now the new technology at ARC allows us to be more efficient in our quest to get in shape.

Paul is senior in computer and political science and is a frequent patron of ARC’s weight room -so don’t mess with him.