Tracy Abrams’ injury doesn’t doom Illini basketball

Editor’s note: This column is written as part of a point-counterpoint. The other column, arguing that Abrams’ injury will be detrimental to the Illini’s season, can be found here.

We’ve heard again and again that the most important position in John Groce’s system is point guard.

Since Groce first set foot on campus, he has been searching for the Next Great Point Guard, first chasing Demetrius Jackson and Tyler Ennis, then moving on to JaQuan Lyle and Quentin Snider last year, before failing to land Jalen Brunson in the upcoming class.

If the point guard is really the most important position, then it seems like Tracy Abrams’ season-ending ACL tear would doom the Illini season. But precisely the reason that Groce chased so hard after Jackson and Ennis in his first days on campus was that Abrams wasn’t the Next Great Point Guard and he never would be.

Instead, Abrams is a solid guard who became Illinois’ go-to point guard more because of a lack of other options than anything else.

Even without Abrams, we know what the Illini will look like, and it doesn’t look too bad.

Sure, he’s a four-year starter, but a point guard by committee system would work just as well with this group of players.

Abrams’ likely replacement is a combination of senior Rayvonte Rice, senior Ahmad Starks, junior Aaron Cosby and sophomore Jaylon Tate. Rice is one of the nation’s top scorers. Starks, a transfer, is Oregon State’s all-time leader in 3-pointers. Cosby shot 40 percent on 3-pointers two seasons ago at Seton Hall. Tate has a year experience in the system, even playing significant minutes early last season.

Last season’s Illini were historically bad at 3-point shooting, and Rice and Abrams both did the majority of their scoring inside of the arc. By subtracting Abrams, Rice will be the only driving threat in the starting lineup and will have more room to operate in the lane. By adding Starks and Cosby, defenders will be drawn outside, giving Rice even more room. If Nnanna Egwu and Malcolm Hill, or whomever the power forward is, are able to maintain their long-range shooting abilities, Rice will be even more potent.

On defense, Abrams is likely stronger than the 5-foot-9 Starks, but the improvements across the board — with everyone returning — will likely be more than enough to cover up the difference. Plus, center Nnanna Egwu and Rice will still be two of the conference’s top defenders.

Overall, the Illini will be more experienced, deeper and significantly better at 3-point shooting than last year’s team, which was one or two wins away from the NCAA tournament.

On his good days, Abrams can carry the Illini with a stubborn will to win. On his bad days, Abrams can bury the Illini with poor shooting and stupid mistakes.

Without him, they are — at the very least — an NCAA tournament team. And with Illinois’ recent lack of success, that’s not a season doomed.

Johnathan is a senior in Media. He can be reached at hetting2@dailyillini.com. Follow him on Twitter @jhett93.