Opinion | Shehbaz Sharif will not solve Pakistan’s problems

Photo courtesy of Remy Steinegger/Wikimedia Commons

Former Prime Minister Imran Khan gestures during the session ‘The Future of South Asia’ annual meeting of the World Economic Forum in the congress center in Switzerland on Jan. 26, 2012. Columnist Milly Zafar believes that the new Pakistani prime minister, Shehbaz Sharif, is unfit for the position as Khan was voted out of office on April 9.

By Milly Zafar, Columnist

The new Pakistani Prime Minister, Shehbaz Sharif, is not fit to run Pakistan.

On April 9, 2022, former Prime Minister Imran Khan was ousted from office in a vote of no confidence. Khan, a former cricket player turned politician, was elected in 2018 following the removal of the previous prime minister, Nawaz Sharif — Shehbaz’s older brother. 

But this is not another political dynasty like the Kennedys. The Sharif family’s hold on Pakistani politics is already marred by corruption, as Nawaz is currently in prison on corruption charges.

Shehbaz previously served as the chief minister of Punjab, Pakistan’s most populous province, under his brother’s leadership. Coming from an affluent background, Shehbaz grew up incredibly wealthy with access to services and education that many people in Pakistan are unable to attain. 

Shehbaz spent the majority of his political career in the shadow of his much more popular older brother. Similar to his brother, Shehbaz has also faced corruption charges and was in and out of prison, but he always escaped conviction. 

Khan ran on an anti-corruption platform after the charges the Sharif brothers faced. He also focused on improving governance in Pakistan as well as expanding the social welfare available to Pakistani citizens and residents. These policies were on track to immensely improve the lives of Pakistan’s citizens. 

However, Khan made a few mistakes along the way which led to his removal from office. He appointed an incredibly underqualified and inexperienced man as the chief minister of Punjab, one of the most powerful positions in the country. Instead of listening to his advisors and the people, Khan refused to remove the chief minister despite his inexperience. Additionally, the cost of living within Pakistan increased exponentially, in part due to the COVID-19 pandemic with food prices rising and the value of the rupee falling. 

The people of Pakistan were deeply upset with Khan. Parliament called for a vote of no confidence that would determine whether or not to keep him in office, and Khan agreed. Shehbaz’s party — the Pakistan Muslim League — had the majority in Parliament. Thus, Khan was removed from office. 

Despite having experience as the chief minister of Punjab, Shehbaz comes from a politically checkered background. The PML led Pakistan under Nawaz for almost 10 years. His Pakistan was filled with corruption, economic issues and a lack of social services for Pakistanis. Shehbaz contributed to these issues by having the power as the chief minister of Punjab. With Nawaz in jail, Shehbaz took control of his brother’s former party.

Shehbaz has no incentive to improve the lives of Pakistanis now that he is in power. He has the support of the American government, which Khan did not have. And like his brother’s administration, he now has the power to stuff ballot boxes, ensuring he is continually reelected.  However, this does not mean that the Pakistani people are happy with the new transition. Tens of thousands of people protested and continue to protest in all the major Pakistani cities, unhappy with the PML and Shehbaz’s new position. 

Shehbaz has plans to decrease Pakistan’s $100 billion debt and create infrastructure within Lahore, the country’s second-largest city, including metro lines, overhead passes and underpasses. However, only time will tell if Shehbaz accomplishes these goals. 

In an ideal world, Shehbaz would most definitely not be in power, but the alternative would be to keep Khan in office, who arguably has his own problems. Since its creation as an independent country in 1947, Pakistan has been wrought with political and economic issues. 

Khan was supposed to be the reckoning Pakistan so desperately needs. His fall from power is catastrophic for the future of the country.

Milly is a freshman in LAS.