Coronavirus case confirmed in Champaign County

Photo Courtesy of CDC

Coronaviruses are a group of viruses that have a halo, or crown-like (corona) appearance when viewed under an electron microscope.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

9:00 p.m.

Local health administrators came together on Sunday afternoon to discuss the area’s first case of COVID-19.

The Champaign County woman who contracted coronavirus had come in contact with someone who had recently traveled back from Italy. The woman tested positive on Saturday night, after coming to Carle Foundation Hospital with a fever, cough and shortness of breath. She was not admitted to the hospital.

Julie Pryde, administrator for the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District, said anyone with the coronavirus must isolate until two tests for COVID-19 come back negative.

2:52 p.m.

A Champaign County woman has contracted the area’s first case of coronavirus, the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District announced Sunday. 

The health district said the woman is in her 50s, and she’s currently recovering in home isolation. Health district officials are working to identify and inform all of the woman’s “close contacts.” 

The woman is not a student, staff or faculty member of the University. The CUPHD said there are 50 additional tests for the virus pending, and that they expect more cases of coronavirus to be confirmed in the next week.

“CUPHD has traced the recent activities of the individual and does not believe there is any link to being in a university facility or attending a university event,” said Chancellor Robert Jones and Provost Andreas Cangellaris in a Massmail Sunday afternoon. 

Health officials aired further details about the case during a 3 p.m. press conference on WDWS 1400-AM.

“We are asking for the community’s assistance and we need people to take action now to reduce the number of cases at any one time so that our health care system is not overwhelmed. Continue to practice good preventive measures, stay home when you are sick and avoid crowded places,” said public health Administrator Julie Pryde.

This is a developing story. The Daily Illini will update as more information is released.