Olympics final update: Poulter, Bartsch-Hackley, Virtue win gold with Team USA volleyball

The+USA+Womens+Volleyball+Team+celebrates+a+victory+against+the+Brazil+team.+The+USA+Womens+Volleyball+Team+won+gold+on+Aug.+8.+

Photo Courtesy of USA Volleyball Twitter

The USA Women’s Volleyball Team celebrates a victory against the Brazil team. The USA Women’s Volleyball Team won gold on Aug. 8.

By Claire O'Brien, Sports Digital Content Editor

The Olympics wrapped up this week in Tokyo, and closing ceremonies took place Sunday. Most of the Illini competed last week, but a couple familiar faces to Illinois fans competed this week.

Tyson Bull (Gymnastics, Australia)

Bull competed in the finals for horizontal bar on Tuesday, finishing in fifth place. His score was 12.466, which was two points away from winning a medal.

Jordyn Poulter and Michelle Bartsch-Hackley (Volleyball, USA)

Poulter and Bartsch-Hackley competed in the volleyball tournament this week, while former Illini Erin Virtue was an assistant coach for the team in Tokyo. Following last week’s pool play, the U.S. finished first in its group with a 4-1 record. The team swept the Dominican Republic, 3-0, in the quarterfinals. Poulter was dressed for the match but did not play following an injury in the final match of pool play. She returned to the court in the semifinals, and the U.S. swept Serbia, 3-0, to advance to the gold medal match.

Both Bartsch-Hackley and Poulter started in Sunday’s gold medal match. The former Illini played key roles in the match, and the U.S. did not lose a set in elimination play, defeating Brazil 3-0 to win the gold medal. In addition to a gold medal, both Bartsch-Hackley and Poulter were named to Volleyball World’s Dream Team, according to a U.S. volleyball press release. Poulter was named Best Setter, and Bartsch-Hackley was named Best Outside Hitter (teammate Jordan Larson was also named Most Valuable Player and Best Outside Hitter).

@obrien_clairee