For less stress, sublet from current lessees

Orchard Downs’ an aparment complex located on Orcharde Plaza in Urbana. With so many subletting options it is critical tp consider what is important to you in a home.

By Sonal Singh, Staff Writer

Whether you are looking for a place to stay over the summer or an apartment to live in while studying abroad at the University, a sublet is the way to go. Essentially, a sublet refers to when you lease an apartment from someone who is already leasing the place from an original lessor.

There are two main ways you could go about searching for a sublet on campus. One way is to join the Facebook group “University of Illinois (UIUC) Housing, Sublets & Roommates.” Another is to look for people offering sublets on realty company websites. However, it is important to keep some things in mind when trying to find your ideal housing.

Budget

Setting a budget is the best way to filter your choices. This ensures you are only focusing on options you will really consider. It is also helpful to know whether or not the rent price listed includes utilities such as Wi-Fi, electricity and water. Also, be sure to check if the original sublet will give you a discount.

Location

Location is another important factor. If you are staying over the summer for an internship or to take some extra classes, it is imperative to note some buses do not run on their regular routes or schedule. Living near your place of business would make your life much simpler by providing an easier commute.

Additionally, if you are a student studying abroad here, it is best to pick a place closest to the area where you will have theb most classes. For example, if you are an incoming engineering student, it might be best to find a place by the engineering buildings as opposed to finding one halfway across campus.

Wishlist

It is always nice to have a checklist of everything you want in an apartment. Would you like a washer and dryer in the unit? Do you want a TV included? Is having a gym or a study lounge a requirement? Making a list in order of priority will help you find a place best suited to your needs. This will further help you narrow down your options.

Roommates

Another aspect to consider is how many people you are willing to live with. Are you considering getting a studio or a four-bedroom apartment? It all depends on your preferences. Studios are usually more expensive than two- or four-bedroom apartments, but if you like the privacy of living alone and it’s within your budget, this might be perfect for you. However, if you would like to meet more people and would prefer to pay less, a two- or four-bedroom place might work better.

After gaining a clear understanding of what you would like out of an apartment, it is time to start searching for one.

Your next step would be to look over all the posts on the Facebook group for the semester you are interested in. Use the above criteria to narrow down which options you are interested in, and make sure you get in touch with the contact as soon as possible. Most communication will probably happen through Facebook. Also, if they mention the price is flexible, don’t be afraid to ask about the possibility of lowering the rent.

Another thing that might work is to create a post on the group mentioning your budget and requirements. After that, all you have to do is wait for people to respond with their offers. Although it doesn’t happen often, try your best to avoid links that seem fishy to avoid getting caught up in a scam.

Following that, set up a time to go see the places you are most interested in. This will help give you a more realistic idea of the space compared to just looking at the pictures. While looking over a potential living space, don’t be shy to ask about anything, and if you decide to go with the place, ask them how they would like you to pay. Finally, make your big decision after going over all your options!

Sonal is a sophomore in business.