Column: Stream of unconsciousness

By Jeff Feyerer

After years of living my life by what happens on ESPN and what is written about in the sports pages, I have come to one conclusion.

There is no more physically exhausting, mind-bending experience for a sports fan than filling out your NCAA Tournament bracket.

It seems so simple. Pick who you think is going to win. Jot it down.

Maybe that’s why every novice that can read and write seems to win every tournament pool I’m in.

Others, who watch every damn game on television during the season, overanalyze to the point where they believe Vermont and New Mexico have legitimate shots at the Final Four.

Let’s just say trying to fill out my bracket over the last two days was probably the least productive time period in my life.

Sunday, 6:00 p.m.

My bracket is printed. My mind is blown. I sense a long 48 hours until this column has to be in.

6:30 p.m.

After penning in Illinois to topple the juggernaut of Fairleigh Dickinson, it’s been a half-hour of wondering whether Jay Bilas’ man-crush on Nevada center Nick Fazekas is worth picking the Wolfpack over the Longhorns.

6:45 p.m.

Screw the Chicago bracket. I’m looking at the Syracuse region.

6:46 p.m.

Screw Syracuse. How about Albuquerque?

6:48 p.m.

Why am I writing in Montana to beat Washington? Sure, no one believes Washington is that good, but losing to a No. 16? Come on, Jeff. Think.

7:30 p.m.

Ever get that feeling like you’re turning into Jack Nicholson from The Shining? Hitting the balcony for some fresh air.

7:37 p.m.

After looking at the bracket for more than an hour and a half, I’m done for the night. Two midterms this week. What’s more important?

7:39 p.m.

Two minutes later my question is answered. The tournament. Didn’t realize I still had ESPN Bracketology on in the background. Continue listening to Dickie V lust over the ACC and Digger Phelps mimic Picasso with his “neon green period.”

8:47 p.m.

OK, time to study. One last thought: I hope Bucknell beats down Kansas.

Monday, 1:23 p.m.

Go down to the curb to discover my Chicago Tribune has a tournament insert section. Time to research.

1:56 p.m.

I think I know less than I did 33 minutes ago. My first bracket is crumbled and thrown away. I can worry about this tomorrow.

Tuesday, 2:34 a.m.

Having trouble falling asleep. I can’t decide whether it’s because of the cars driving by my window, stress from my upcoming finals or the fact I can see Michigan State going to the Final Four. I have problems.

10:57 a.m.

It’s class, but I need to stay awake from the long night so I decide to finally fill out a complete bracket. Just going to write down the first thought in my head.

11:07 a.m.

Four Big Ten teams in the Sweet Sixteen. No way that’s happening. Back to the drawing board.

2:01 p.m.

Let’s try something new. I go to my favorite online site, Whatifsports.com, and begin to simulate the bracket. I quit and vow never to visit the site again after Oklahoma State beats Illinois in the Elite Eight. Maybe I need to exercise less personal bias.

2:05 p.m.

It’s been almost two days. Need to start using some rational thought. Time to consult the sports almanac.

2:43 p.m.

If ESPN shows the NCAA Women’s Tournament commercial one more time, I’m going to go crazy. They make it seem like they’re going to a party, not a game.

3:12 p.m.

No one seeded 12th or below has made it to the Final Four. Twenty teams eliminated. Doesn’t help on the first round games. Crap.

3:48 p.m.

Getting real excited for some of the potential match-ups on my bracket. Louisville-Gonzaga, Duke-North Carolina, Illinois-Oklahoma State. My predicting them only means they won’t happen.

4:56 p.m.

So … who’s ready to draw names out of a hat?

5:00 p.m.

Column’s due. My final four is … well, I’ve still got 65 teams in contention. Maybe an NIT bracket will be easier. Get back to me Thursday morning at 10:59 a.m.