Illinois powerlifting shows strength at national competition

By Jonathan Leonard

The Illini Powerlifting squad put on an exceptional performance last Saturday at the APF/AAPF Chicago Summer Bash II held at the Velocity Sports Center in Willowbrook, Illinois. In the team competition, Illini Powerlifting placed second, beating Big Iron from Omaha, Neb. and Team Carpenter from Dubuque, Iowa. Frantz Power Team of Aurora placed first as all 12 of their points-earning members placed 1st in their divisions. The final tally for Illni Powerlifting was 17 Individual Championships, 22 New State Records and 13 American Records.

Illini Powerlifting entered 15 lifters in this meet, seven of whom were entered in the Full Power competition, which consists of squat, bench press and deadlift all added for a comprehensive total. University sophomore David Bergman was entered in the APF Junior and AAPF Junior Divisions of the 308 lb. weight class. Bergman went 3-for-3 in the squat, successfully completing all three of his attempts. He opened with 220.2 lb. lift, then went for 319.5 lbs. and 363.7 lbs. for an AAPF Illinois State Junior Squat Record. On the bench, he opened with 341.7 lbs. and then hit 385.7 lbs. which set numerous APF and AAPF records. On the deadlift Bergman opened with 413.2 lbs. before pulling 485 lbs. for an AAPF Illinois State Junior deadlift Record. His 1234.6 total earned him 1st Place in both divisions, and was also an AAPF Illinois State Junior Total Record. The final tally for Bergman was seven State Records and 2 American Records.

“David simply cleaned up in this competition,” said Illini Powerlifting president and grad student John Hudson. “I give him a lot of credit. I’ve been doing this for 20 years and to be able to go out there in front of all those people and perform like he did is just phenomenal,” Hudson said.

“As for all the records I achieved, I’m very proud; it’s not every day that someone sets 9 records, in any sport,” Bergman said. “I trained hard and have gotten a ton of advice from the guys around me. Combining hard work and listening to people who know what they are talking about, I think, are the two most important assets in not only powerlifting, but life itself.”

Another first place finisher, recent University graduate Andrew Kim was entered in the AAPF Open Division and the AAPF Open Division bench only in the 165 lb. weight class. Kim opened with 424.2 lbs. on the squat and then executed 462.7 lbs. before missing at 501.5 lbs. On the bench, Kim opened with 407.7 lbs., setting five records. In the deadlift he opened with an easy 440.7 lbs., then went 479.5 lbs. and 507 lbs. for an AAPF Illinois State Junior Deadlift Record and an AAPF Illinois State Open Deadlift Record. Kim’s 1377.4 lbs. total earned him first place in both of his divisions.

“The meet was an incredible experience,” Kim said. “It was venue run at a top notch caliber with some of the greatest lifters from the Midwest. I felt honored and privileged to lift with some of the greats of our sport.”

Hudson was entered in the APF Open and APF Submaster (33-39 year olds) divisions of the 308 lb. weight class, weighing in at 290.6. This was his first meet since undergoing hernia surgery in March. On the bench, Hudson opened with 529 lbs. and then went after the 600 lb. barrier with a second attempt of 600.7 lbs. His lift of 600.7 lbs. made him only the third Illini Powerlifting member to bench press over 600 lbs. and teammate Lee Mateer would become the fourth minutes later. The 600.7 lb. was a new APF Illinois State Open and Submaster Record. In the deadlift, John opened with 600.7 lbs. then tried 699.7 lbs. The 699.7 cleared the knees, but John didn’t have enough left to lock out the weight, and he lost his grip. His total of 1201.5 lbs. earned his first place in both divisions and was the highest Ironman total of the day.

“Powerlifting is a sport where it doesn’t matter what shape or size you are, but only measures the size of your heart,” Kim said. “Commitment and dedication are the things that make a great powerlifter, not the size of their muscles.”