Illinois faces Kentucky in tough test on road

By Amber Greviskes

Illinois’ home record was spotless for 38 matches, until Kentucky came to town last year.

Tonight, when the Illini travel to the Wildcats’ home courts at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Center, they will try to avenge their 4-3 loss at home by beating their hosts.

Kentucky, the nation’s 30th-ranked team, has played a harder schedule because of the nature of the SEC Conference and will be well-prepared for the match, Illinois head coach Brad Dancer said. The Wildcats are 15-7 overall and 6-4 in the SEC.

“Kentucky is a very good team,” Dancer said. “There are so many good teams in the SEC.”

No. 5 Illinois, coming off weekend wins over Michigan and Michigan State, will need to win the match tonight to remain a favorite in the postseason portion of the season. Illinois is 15-5 overall and 5-1 in the Big Ten.

“We’re not going to lose any more matches before the end of the year,” said Illinois junior GD Jones. “Because we need to gain more momentum before the end of the year.”

The match against the Wildcats is the toughest of the remaining matches this season, Jones said.

“We really need the win, it’s important,” Jones said. “We’re fired up to win it.”

Kentucky lost two of their top six players from last year’s team, including Jesse Witten, who is playing professionally and has served as a hitting partner for the U.S. Davis Cup team since graduation. Illinois has practically the same lineup as last year, losing only senior Chris Martin to graduation.

Sophomore Kevin Anderson would like the chance to play Nate Emge again after facing him at the 2005 Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Indoor Men’s Team Championships. Emge retired with an injury before the completion of his singles match against Anderson.

Anderson, who did not compete this weekend, is anxious to get back in the lineup, despite the mid-week travel and missed classes.

“We have great tutors that will help us catch up with our classes,” Anderson said. “I’ve had to take a lot of long trips in my life.”

Sophomore Brandon Davis, who was in the midst of his first career singles win this weekend when he suffered an injury, believes the team will do well.

Kentucky is led by Alex Hume, the 56th-ranked singles player, and Bruno Agostinelli, who is ranked 58th. Emge is the 115th-ranked singles player.

“I don’t expect anyone to lose,” Davis said. “I expect that all of our guys will be ready to go.”