Shawna Culp signs letter of intent to play Illini wheelchair basketball

By Brian Atlas

Shawna Culp, a senior at Wheaton Warrenville South High School, signed a letter of intent on Nov. 22 to play for the University of Illinois’ wheelchair basketball team. The No. 1 female wheelchair basketball recruit, Culp plays for the club team Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Express and junior team Windy City Warriors, and will suit up for the Illini next season.

Culp was also considering the University of Arizona before she decided to join the Illini.

“(Illinois) was going to do a better job of meeting her academic and athletic needs,” head coach Mike Frogley said.

Culp was a highly sought-after recruit. Culp is also strong in the classroom, as she was the top-ranked high school academic All-American for the National Wheelchair Basketball Association.

“Shawna is an absolutely astounding student,” Frogley said.

In addition, Culp was the only high school player on the U.S. women’s senior national team last year, which finished second in the world championships in Amsterdam.

Injured co-captain Sarah Castle played on that team last summer. She roomed with Culp and played basketball alongside her.

“(Culp) is a threat on offense and defense,” Castle said. “She plays a big role on the floor and has a presence about her.”

Frogley sees the talent and intelligence in Culp.

“I’ve always liked how aggressive Shawna is, especially on defense,” Frogley said. “You need to be a smart player to succeed in our system.”

Culp is better prepared because of her international experience. She looks forward to bringing that experience to an already loaded Illinois roster.

“With all the girls on the team, we’ll be able to have five threats (on the court),” Culp said. “I love how in wheelchair basketball, everyone on the floor needs to be utilized.”

For that reason, Culp says fundamentals are important. She says the Illini definitely have fundamentals, so with her addition, Illinois will “be a really effective team in the future.”

Frogley also noted that Culp has been going to the basketball camps over previous summers and developed relationships with some of the athletes.

“She’s been around U of I for a number of years,” Castle said. “We’re really looking forward to her finally joining the roster because we’ve seen her for so long.”

Frogley also added that Culp will bring more to the University than just athletic ability and smarts.

“She has a desire to give back to the community,” Frogley said. “She wants to work with young kids and teach wheelchair basketball. She’s selfless.”