Kentucky Derby winner euthanized after leg break

AP

Jockey Edgar Prado rides Barbaro to victory in the 132nd Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs, Saturday, May 6, 2006, in Louisville, Ky. Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was euthanized Monday, Jan. 29, 2007, after complications from his gruesome breakdown at la The Associated Press

By The Associated Press

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Daniel Stone had a feeling about Barbaro the day the bay colt won the Kentucky Derby.

“You just saw how big he was, and he just looked like a fighter,” Stone said Monday while watching simulcast races at Churchill Downs’ Trackside Pavilion.

Barbaro had plenty of fight, on and off the track. The colt who raced by the field to win the Derby by six lengths spent the last eight months battling for his life after breaking his right hind leg during the Preakness Stakes on May 20.

The battle ended Monday, when Barbaro was euthanized at New Bolton Center outside Philadelphia after developing problems in both hind legs following months of rehabilitation.

Stone still has one of the win tickets he placed on Barbaro. At first, he kept it because he wanted a memento in case Barbaro won the Triple Crown. Now, he said he’ll keep it as a reminder of the horse’s valiant fight to live.

“He did the best he could,” Stone said. “It’s really sad. He was a special horse.”

Word of Barbaro’s death traveled quickly throughout the track where he made history last May. Churchill Downs president and chief executive Robert Evans called Barbaro’s battle against overwhelming odds a testament to the horse’s talent.

“Barbaro proved he was a remarkable horse last spring when he scored one of the most dominant victories in the 132-year history of the Kentucky Derby,” Evans said in a statement. “But the courage he displayed in his fight for life … proved that he was more special than we could have possibly imagined.”

Churchill Downs will place large sympathy cards in front of track entrances Wednesday so fans can extend condolences to the colt’s owners and the New Bolton staff.

Cletus McCauley, a Trackside patron and former horse owner, said the conduct of owners Roy and Gretchen Jackson in helping their horse fight shouldn’t be forgotten.

“Some people wouldn’t have taken the chance,” McCauley said.

Racing fan John Witt called the outpouring of support following Barbaro’s injury a tribute to the unique place the Derby holds for many casual racing fans.

People from all over the world, including fans at Churchill Downs, showered the New Bolton Clinic with flowers, food and cards in the months since Barbaro was injured.

“It’s a part of history,” Witt said. “People got so interested because they saw what he did at the Derby and you don’t see horses like that come along very often.”