Quinton Watkins signs Letter of Intent

By Courtney Linehan

Shooting guard Quinton Watkins signed a National Letter of Intent to play at Illinois on Wednesday, making him the fourth member of the team’s 2007 recruiting class.

Watkins, a 6-foot-3 player considered a top-100 recruit by Rivals.com, averaged 19.7 points and 4.2 rebounds per game for Dominguez High School in Compton, Calif.

“It was a nice addition to our program, definitely one of the top unsigned kids in the late period,” Illinois coach Bruce Weber said. “We need scoring, and he can shoot the basketball. He also can get to the basket, get some bounce.”

Watkins’ high school was also home to NBA standouts Tyson Chandler and Tayshaun Prince. Weber said Watkins’ coach, Russell Otis, is known for producing players who find success at the college and professional level.

“He comes from a program that’s been very successful, so those kids are well-schooled,” Weber said. “He plays both ends of the court, and he’s won. You want a kid who comes from a winning program.”

Watkins is only the third California player to sign with the Illini in 102 years of the program’s history.

He will join three in-state players in the 2007 signing class: Westchester, Ill. native and St. Joseph High School guard Demetri McCamey, Peoria Richwoods power forward Bill Cole and center Mike Tisdale from Riverton, Ill. Illinois had received a verbal commitment from Indianapolis guard Eric Gordon, but he decommitted and signed with Indiana in the fall.

“There were a handful of kids late who were out there, but his situation was like ours,” Weber said. “We lost a commitment, he was committed to another school and some things happened. It worked out great for both of us.”