Bears to keep Griese at QB despite rough outing, loss against Lions

Chicago Bears quarterback Brian Griese passes against the Detroit Lions on Sunday in Detroit. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, DUANE BURLESON

AP

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Different quarterback, same result.

The Chicago Bears hoped Brian Griese would spark their offense. Instead, he was no better than Rex Grossman.

Griese’s performance in Sunday’s 37-27 loss at Detroit probably raised as many questions as it answered, but coach Lovie Smith clarified a few issues on Monday.

“Brian is our quarterback, yes,” he said when asked if Griese will start the next game.

And Smith was emphatic about something else. He won’t seek an offensive consultant’s help.

“No, absolutely not. Next question,” he said.

There are plenty surrounding the defending NFC champions, with many centered on what was expected to be a more balanced and more prolific offense. Instead, the Bears (1-3) are staggering into this week’s game at NFC North leader Green Bay.

Not only did they lose to Detroit, they appeared to lose their identity. The Bears became pass-happy.

Griese, making his first start with the Bears, completed 34 of 52 passes for 286 yards while throwing two touchdowns and three interceptions. That’s right: 52 passes, tied for third most in team history.

“It’s not a good sign when the Bears are throwing 52 times,” right tackle Fred Miller said.

Why did they?

“I think that’s where we’re all kind of scratching our heads around here,” Miller said. “We’re not doing the same things that we’ve done. I don’t think we’re getting enough running calls. In the passing game, we’re turning too many guys free and just making mistakes that we don’t normally make, especially the offensive line. It’s a little bit of everyone. I think everyone has taken responsibility for it.”

The Bears were ahead 13-3 going into the fourth quarter, but the lead might have been insurmountable if Griese had not played like, well, Grossman.

Chicago had first-and-goal at the Detroit 6 in the final minute of the first half when Griese threw behind Bernard Berrian. Fernando Bryant intercepted, and the Lions entered the half trailing 7-3.

The Bears wasted another big opportunity after Mark Anderson sacked Jon Kitna on Detroit’s first drive of the second half, forcing a fumble that Brandon McGowan at the Lions 12. Once again, Griese threw a pass intended for Berrian. And once again, it wound up in Lions hands.

The game ended in fitting fashion, when the Lions sacked Griese. The question is: Did they also sack the Bears?

Two years ago, Chicago dropped three of the first four, but won the division, albeit under different circumstances.

Kyle Orton was serving as a caretaker at quarterback, but otherwise the Bears were healthy. The offensive line was holding its ground. The running game was productive.

Now?

“It’s about how we’re going to respond,” Griese said.