La Russa will return for 13th year as manager of St. Louis Cardinals

St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa announces his return as Cardinals manager during a news conference on Monday in St. Louis. La Russa will return for his 13th season with a two-year contract. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, JEFF ROBERSON

AP

ST. LOUIS – Tony La Russa tended to his many pets on the West Coast for a week or so, and made up his mind: he wanted to keep managing.

Now, he’s hoping the St. Louis Cardinals can make an equally quick decision on hiring a general manager.

La Russa agreed Monday to a two-year contract to stay in St. Louis, confident that the Cardinals can still be contenders. Whether he ever works out his rift with Scott Rolen remains to be seen.

“You’ve got to be honest, he’s probably the one guy who has issues with me,” La Russa said. “You hope he’s healthy, understand we have issues, and don’t let it get in the way.”

A year after winning the World Series, the Cardinals endured a disappointing 78-win season. General manager Walt Jocketty, who hired La Russa in 1995, was fired earlier this month.

The 63-year-old La Russa never courted offers from other teams. He said he would have preferred the new GM give the OK for his return, but he felt it was important to finalize his status heading into free agency.

Team chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. said all the GM candidates he’s talked to have said they’d have no problem working with La Russa.

“I’m real pleased it worked out,” La Russa said. “I’m thrilled to be back.”

La Russa has led St. Louis to seven playoff appearances, six NL Central championships, two pennants and the 2006 World Series win over Detroit. His Oakland team won the 1989 World Series.

DeWitt expects to hire a new GM by the end of the World Series. The candidates are all currently assistant GMs, including former Jocketty top aide John Mozeliak.

“The sooner the better, ideally,” DeWitt said.

La Russa also said he’d gotten positive feedback from players with the notable exception of Rolen, the star third baseman with whom he’s clashed repeatedly the past few seasons.