Blog: I just met Jake Peavy… at Kam’s

Jake Peavy, pitcher for the San Diego Padres, talks with people at Kams in Champaign on Wednesday night. Peavy and his friends, Brad Penny from the Los Angeles Dodgers and Roy Oswalt from the Houston Astros, were in the area on a hunting trip. Daily Illini Photo

By David Just

1:29 am – Well I just had one of the more interesting nights of my life.

The scene: The DI Sports Bar Crawl is underway at Joe’s Brewery and things are just starting to get exciting on the poles. Then, a phone call was received from a friend of a friend of a friend who said Jake Peavy, Roy Oswalt and Brad Penny – three of the National League’s most dominant pitchers (Peavy, my favorite player/hero being the 2007 NL Cy Young winner) – were at KAM’s fraternizing with the UI student body.

In my best Cosmo Kramer impersonation, I said: “Let’s go.”

You have to understand, I just bought a brand new Jake Peavy jersey two weeks ago – one that I had been wanting for years (tip of the cap to deputy news editor Sky Opila, who found the jersey on eBay for me for just $16.)

Sky, good timing.

So I went up to Jake first, him being my hero and all, said hello and shook his hand. Shook his hand, people!

Click here for the full blog post.