Finalists announced in race for Heisman

The Heisman Trophy is displayed at Ohio Stadium on Nov. 18, 2006 in Columbus, Ohio. Heisman finalists were named Wednesday: Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan, Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel, Arkansas running back Darren McFadden and Florida quarterback T Amy Sancetta, The Associated Press

AP

By Ralph D. Russo

NEW YORK – Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, trying to become the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy, and Arkansas running back Darren McFadden, the runner-up for last year’s award, were among the four finalists selected Wednesday.

Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel and Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan were the other finalists. They will all be in New York on Saturday night when the award is given to the top player in college football.

“I think it’s a good race,” Brennan said at a news conference. “I think anybody can win it. It’s up to the voters. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.”

Since the first Heisman was given to Chicago’s Jay Berwanger in 1935, all 70 players who have won college football’s most prestigious award have been juniors or seniors.

Tebow could break that trend. The ultimate dual-threat quarterback, the 235-pound Tebow ran for 838 yards and an Southeastern Conference-record 22 touchdowns.

He’s also the nation’s second-leading passer, having completed 68 percent of his throws for 3,132 yards, with 29 touchdowns and just six interceptions in his first season as a starter.

McFadden was one of the preseason favorites after finishing second to Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith last year. His candidacy lagged with a mediocre October, but he gave himself a boost with a spectacular November. In the final month of the season, McFadden tied the SEC record with 321 yards rushing against South Carolina, and ran for 206 yards and three TDs and also threw a touchdown pass to lead the Razorbacks to a 50-48 triple overtime victory over then-No. 1 LSU.

Daniel was one of six quarterbacks to reach 4,000 yards passing this season. He threw for 4,170 yards and 33 TDs to get the surprising Tigers within a victory of reaching the BCS national championship game.

“This shines a huge light, a shining light, on the University of Missouri and the state,” Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said to the Mizzou Tiger Club of St. Louis on Wednesday.

This season, Brennan led Hawaii (12-0) to the only perfect regular season in major college football and its first Bowl Championship Series appearance, but his numbers were down from last year because he lost some time to injuries.

In the Warriors’ run-and-shoot offense, Brennan passed for 4,174 and 38 touchdowns. He also set the major college record for career touchdown passes with 131.

“It’s a great feeling because it’s not like I’m the only one getting rewarded here, it’s everybody who played with me getting rewarded,” Brennan said.