Illini women fall to No. 16 Buckeyes in final few seconds

By Stuart Lieberman

The Illini were ahead 42-37 with a minute and a half remaining on the clock, but were unable to escape with a victory over No. 16 Ohio State – a team that is in first place in the Big Ten and has won the conference the last three seasons. Buckeyes guards Marscilla Packer and Maria Moeller each sank three-pointers in the final minutes of Thursday’s game in Columbus, Ohio, and Packer stole the ball from the Illini with five seconds left to give her team a 43-42 victory.

“We were right there, we just gave them too many chances down the stretch and missed several opportunities late,” head coach Jolette Law said. “I have to give a lot of credit to Ohio State. You can see why they’re a top 20 team. They played hard and found a way in the end.”

The Illini kept a close watch on Buckeyes’ freshman center Jantel Lavender in the final seconds of the game.

“I knew that they’d go to Packer for the final shot and we did a good job of stopping that, but being the great player she is, she found the open player and got to her,” said Law about Moeller’s made three-pointer from the right corner with 14.5 seconds remaining in the contest.

Sophomore center Jenna Smith battled evenly with Lavender, the conference’s leading rebounder. Smith, who has already been named Big Ten Player of the Week three times this season, finished the game with 16 points and nine boards. Lavender put up 10 points and 12 rebounds.

“We knew they wanted to pound it inside to Lavender and we did a good job of giving her different looks to keep her off balance,” Law said.

Junior guard Lori Bjork continued her recent shooting spree, scoring 12 points in a full 40 minutes of play.

The difference in the game came from the bench. Freshman guard Chelsea Buher had the only bucket for the Illini reserves, whereas the Buckeyes’ bench contributed a more productive 11 points and seven rebounds.

The close game showed the potential that the Illini have for the remainder of the Big Ten conference season, and Law believes her players are getting near the level she expects them to play at.

“I think we’re close to being the team we can be,” Law said. “In the last couple minutes of games, especially on the road, we just need to relax and play our game.”

The Illini return to action Monday when they host Iowa at 7 p.m.