Smith falters in close loss to Michigan

By Stuart Lieberman

Jenna Smith’s streak of 28 consecutive games in double figures finally came to an end against Michigan. The sophomore center scored a season-low six points on Sunday, creating a bump in the road for the Illini.

The rest of the team tried to rise to the challenge, but the bump eventually turned into a construction zone the Illini were unable to find a detour around, losing 55-52 in the final seconds.

“Tonight just wasn’t her night,” head coach Jolette Law said about Smith’s play.

“We went to her, and she didn’t convert. It was just one of those nights.”

Although Smith was quadruple-teamed at times during the conference game, her teammates picked up their play during the second half resulting in an exciting finish.

Lori Bjork shot a three-pointer with one second remaining and the Illini down by three, but it hit the rim twice and bounced out.

Michigan (16-10, 9-7 Big Ten) was able to stay one step ahead of the Illini (15-12, 7-9) as the game came to a close after making five three-point shots in the final six minutes.

The Wolverines’ Jessica Minnfield scored two of these and finished the game with 25 points.

Michigan’s first-year head coach Kevin Borseth said his players got lucky with their three-point tries.

“It comes down to late shot-clock scenarios for both teams,” Borseth said.

“It’s difficult in games like this. You could see how much we were struggling trying to get anything we could. (Illinois is) so good defensively, and they’re so patient on both ends of the court. On the offensive end of the court they’re so patient until they get what they want and on the defensive end of the court they’re patient and don’t let you get what you want.”

But it was the Wolverines’ play on the defensive end that got it done.

Smith went only 3-for-12 from the field on the night in 38 minutes of play. Borseth said shutting down Smith was the game plan from the beginning.

“She’s got Randy Moss hands,” Borseth said about Smith. “She’s got such great hands, and she’s got such great instincts for scoring.”

The most frustrating moment for Smith seemed to come when she was knocked to the floor midway through the second half after trying for a layup. Smith had earlier vented her frustration by throwing a towel at the bench.

Law told her team at halftime that it had to look for other options if it wanted to pull out a victory against Michigan.

Senior guard Rebecca Harris picked up Smith’s weight, going 8-for-13 from the field and added two points at the line to finish with 21 points.

“I thought (Harris) did a great job for them, taking it to the basket and compensating for them,” Borseth said.

Junior guard Lori Bjork finished the night second in scoring for the Fighting Illini with 13 points in a full 40 minutes of play.

“I think as players we have to step up and help her out,” Bjork said of Smith.

“I think there were some positive sides on that tonight. Obviously we are going to go to her a lot but at the same time I think we need to step up and help her out.”

Law said when the Big Ten Tournament rolls around on March 7, her team will be ready.

“This loss don’t reflect our season,” Law said.