Sox look to recover from ’08 shortcomings

Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle throws against the Arizona Diamondbacks in a spring training game in Tucson, Ariz., on Feb. 29. John Miller, The Associated Press

AP

TUCSON, Ariz. – One photo shows Scott Podsednik being mobbed by teammates following his game-ending homer. Others lining the hallway capture the World Series celebration, near life-size images that commemorate the title run and serve as a reminder of how fading glory can be.

“Everything was so nice and in place for three years and then, all of a sudden, everything went south,” manager Ozzie Guillen said. “All of a sudden, we didn’t know what to do.”

Key hitters struggled, the starting rotation was inconsistent, the bullpen was a mess, and it all added up to a 72-90 record and a fourth-place finish in the AL Central.

It was the kind of performance that left general manager Ken Williams looking to make a big splash in the offseason. But instead of a cannonball, he created a few ripples.

He went after Torii Hunter, Miguel Cabrera, Aaron Rowand and Kosuke Fukudome, and went 0-for-4 – a common line for the White Sox last season.

Williams did, however, land outfielder Nick Swisher, gold glove shortstop Orlando Cabrera and Cuban star Alexei Ramirez.

He also retooled a bullpen that went 19-25 with a 5.49 ERA and blew 23 saves. By adding Scott Linebrink and Octavio Dotel, Williams believes the White Sox have reliable setup men for star closer Bobby Jenks, who endured stretches of inactivity because of the relievers’ failures.

Those are subtle moves that could make a difference – assuming returning players rebound from dreadful seasons.

How bad were the White Sox last season?

Jim Thome led them with a .275 average and 96 RBIs, making it the first time since 1988 they did not have a .280 hitter and the first time since 1990 that no one drove in at least 100 runs. Paul Konerko’s average dropped from .313 to .259, and Jermaine Dye went from hitting .315 to .254 while he was bothered by nagging injuries.

“All-around tough year,” Dye said. “Anytime you’re on a team that goes through what we went through, everything’s going to sleep. It’s just one of those years you put behind and get ready for this year.”

Having a catalyst at the top of the order might have helped, but Podsednik was slowed by injuries. He was released in November. Also gone is two-time 18-game winner Jon Garland, who went to the Los Angeles Angels in the Cabrera trade.

Williams was unable to find a taker for third baseman Joe Crede, who missed most of last season due to a back injury and has an expiring contract. So Josh Fields, who hit 23 homers while filling in, will start the season in the minors.

The White Sox finally decided this week that Juan Uribe will start the season as the regular second baseman, with Ramirez backing up there, at shortstop and in the outfield.

They’re also counting on starters John Danks and Gavin Floyd to develop and Jose Contreras to pitch like his old self instead of an old pitcher. An All-Star in 2006, he at one point last season lost nine straight decisions as a starter while going 10-17 with a 5.57 ERA.