BLOG: The lighter side of Big Ten media day

By Wes Anderson

CHICAGO – While attending Big Ten Media Day (a misnomer given the event’s two-day length) in downtown Chicago is a welcome privilege of writing for the Daily Illini (read: an opportunity to hoard free stuff that will inevitably find the bottom of a garbage can soon after), that doesn’t mean the day’s activities don’t often stray towards the monotonous.

The steady progression of coaches waxing poetic about the unfaltering greatness of their team, their university, and their undying optimism for 2008 (contrary to what the coaches may say, every team cannot win the Big Ten in one year) can leave a reporter drowning in sports clichés.

Lucky for us, though, the fraternity of Big Ten coaches is full of personalities. Here now, a look at the more attention-grabbing moments from today’s round of head coach pressers:

– All was jovial for Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema’s press conference until a rather vindictive reporter took his best shot at the Badgers’ somewhat shaky non-conference matchups:

Q: Your out-of-conference schedule includes Akron, Marshall, Fresno State and Cal Poly. Isn’t this below what’s to be expected of a program that’s been to 13 bowl games in the last 13 years and that is a perennial contender for the conference championship?

Bielema: Do you want to answer your question, or can I?

Read the rest of this post here.. For complete coverage of Big Ten Media Day, visit the DI Sports Blog. and check out Monday’s edition of The Daily Illini.