Wisconsin marching band banned for rowdy road trip

By Bret Greenberg

For most people, the college marching band serves as a form of entertainment at halftime, pep rallies or the occasional Nick Cannon movie. But last Friday, the University of Wisconsin’s marching band appeared on the radar after being suspended indefinitely by band director Mike Leckrone, while an investigation was conducted into allegations of hazing, alcohol abuse and sexual misconduct.

The allegations stem from a band trip to Michigan on Sept. 27.

“My feeling was I hit them between the eyes with a sledgehammer,” Leckrone said at a press conference on Oct. 3.

Although Illinois band director Peter Griffin has not yet made an official announcement to his band about Wisconsin’s situation, most members were able to generate their own opinions from news coverage.

“I’m sure they have to be ashamed of themselves,” Illini piccolo player Elise Nieman said. “It must be tough for them because the whole band is being punished for the actions of probably just a few members.”

The Badger band missed its first home football game in Leckrone’s 39-year tenure last weekend when the team lost to Ohio State 20-17.

“We just have to come out to practice and be the best band we can be,” Badger’s mellophone player Jennifer Zwiebel said. “It was an unfortunate situation, but it’s not going to stop us from getting better as a band. I think we will be stronger for it in the long run.”

In a press conference on Thursday, Wisconsin Dean of Students Lori Berquam said they were investigating several allegations including freshmen being locked in bus bathrooms for hours and female band members being forced to kneel and bite summer sausage, according to The Wisconsin State Journal. Berquam said the investigation did not find anything that warranted police involvement, but some of the hazing victims have resigned from the band. The band will be allowed to play at Saturday’s home game against Penn State, but will not be allowed to travel.

Berquam said the students implicated in the hazing incidents will have their cases looked at under the University of Wisconsin’s non-academic misconduct codes.

“We get our code of ethics at the beginning of the year and we are supposed to read it, sign it and turn it in,” Zwiebel said. “You just hope that nothing ever breaks (our code of ethics) and you never have to deal with it.”

Nieman said that the Illini do not have to sign and turn in their own code of ethics because there are unwritten rules about proper behavior in the band.

“Our band is a family, and if you are a member of the family you will not be hazed,” Nieman said. “We are all expected to be well-behaved, and if you’re not, you will quickly be put in your place. As upperclassmen, we have to set the example for all Marching Illini.”

Michael Stein, a third-year cymbals player in the Marching Illini, said that most of the time band members are too tired to do much before and after they perform on road trips.

“Normally on the bus rides, I just sleep,” Stein said. “Most people will either get some work done or play a game like Catch Phrase. Everyone is way too tired to mess around or get in trouble.”