Cross country teams to be tested against nation’s best

By Kyle Diller

In a season that has thus far been about shaking off summer cobwebs, both the men’s and women’s cross country teams are headed into one of the most challenging and competitive meets this weekend – Pre-Nationals.

The top seven runners from each team will travel to Terre Haute, Ind., where they will face many of the nation’s great teams.

The aim for the No. 17 Illini women is to pick up points on their quest to the meet.

“Pre-Nationals is a race where you’re going to have all the best competition in the nation there, probably 20 to 25 top teams will be at the meet,” head coach Jeremy Rasmussen said. “We just have to go in and worry about what we need to get done, and if we do that we’ll be fine.”

The women’s team will feature the return of junior four-time All-American Angela Bizzarri, who will make her season debut. Following a summer that saw her compete in the U.S. Olympic Trials in Eugene, Ore., Bizzarri could bring a new sense of confidence to the team.

“It’s been a while since I’ve raced, but I’m starting to get in good shape, so I’m really excited to race,” said Bizzarri. “I want to see where I’m at, see where my fitness is. Hopefully I’ll see some improvement from where I was at this point last year.”

While Bizzarri is making her return to competition, the Orange and Blue have taken a blow due to the loss of sophomore Danelle Woods, who will redshirt this season due to a quad injury.

“Obviously it hurts us, not having our No. 3 runner back from last year and the Big Ten Freshman of the Year from last year,” Rasmussen said. “We’ve also got Kristin Sutherland, who’s come in and will hopefully not necessarily fill the void, but kind of step up into that spot.”

While the top seven runners from the women’s team take part in Pre-Nationals on Saturday, some of the squad will travel to Peoria, Ill., on Friday for the Bradley Classic.

The Illini men will also be in Terre Haute, Ind.

“We’ve got so many young guys in the group that really my expectations are to go out there and continue to get a feel for where this program is,” said head coach Wendel McRaven. “With the Big Ten meet and the Regional meet being the next two meets, this is our final tune up.”

Junior Jeremy Stevens has been instrumental for the Orange and Blue this season in victories in two of their three meets, including capturing Big Ten Runner of the Week honors.

“This is really our first test going into championship season, and the biggest meet in the season basically,” Stevens said. “I’m looking to compare against other runners in the nation, and see how I fit in and see what my shots are of possibly getting All-American.”