Jeana Fuccillo Kempe announced as new Illinois swimming and diving head coach

Photo courtesy of @illiniAD Twitter

Jenna Fuccillo Kemp, previous assistant coach for South Carolina Swimming and diving, was announced today as the new head coach for Illinois swimming and diving’s upcoming season.

By Jonathan Alday, Assistant Sports Editor

Pending approval by the UI Board of Trustees, Jeana Fuccillo Kempe will become the sixth coach in Illinois history to helm the program.

“It was important to us that we identify a coach with unbridled energy, great relationship skills, and tireless work ethic,” said AD Josh Whitman to Illinois Athletics. “I have no doubt that her impact will be felt almost immediately.”

Kempe comes after a season as an assistant coach at South Carolina, three years at Auburn and six seasons at LSU. She’s coached countless All-Americans, school record holders, helped lead Auburn to an NCAA Championship and supported multiple swimmers and divers to become national qualifiers.

“I first want to thank Josh Whitman and Dr. Breanna Robinson for the opportunity to be the leader of Illinois Swimming and Diving. Their belief in me was felt immediately and I cannot wait for the opportunity to work alongside them.” Kempe said to Illinois Athletics. “The University of Illinois is an elite academic institution and has everything set in place for success in the Big Ten Conference. I am ready to hit the ground running to build this program in the Big Ten and nationally.”

The Lebanon, Illinois native, Kempe was an Illinois state champion and high school All-American. She also participated in the U.S National Junior Team and was a U.S. National Finalist. She went on to swim at UCLA, becoming team captain and a PAC-10 Championship finalist.

She will be taking over a team that has been towards the bottom of the Big Ten for multiple years, going 5-4 in the 2021-2022 season and 1-3 in conference meets.

@JonathanAlday7