Four-year Illinois veteran Malcolm Hill shines in limited minutes in NBA 2K24 Summer League debut

Former+Illini+Malcolm+Hill+%28left%29+being+guarded+by+Ausar+Thompson+%28right%29%2C+No.+5+pick+in+the+2023+NBA+Draft%2C+during+Hill+and+the+Magics+NBA+2K24+Summer+League+debut.+
Conor Blount
Former Illini Malcolm Hill (left) being guarded by Ausar Thompson (right), No. 5 pick in the 2023 NBA Draft, during Hill and the Magic’s NBA 2K24 Summer League debut.

Following a flashy meeting between the Dallas Mavericks and Oklahoma City Thunder, former Illini Malcolm Hill and the Orlando Magic took the floor against the Detroit Pistons at UNLV’s Thomas and Mack Center. Occupying a primetime slot of the day and being broadcast nationally on ESPN, the 2013-17 Illini forward debuted in his fifth Summer League to date.

Having participated every year since leaving Illinois, Hill is coming off of his most productive Summer League to date, where he averaged 13.0 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists in five games with the Chicago Bulls. 

Despite currently being signed to the New Orleans Pelicans’ G League affiliate Birmingham Squadron, Hill is spending his NBA 2K24 Summer League suited up for an organization just a few states over.

Hill is sharing a guard corps that consists of two 2023 lottery picks and as expected, was not on the court for tip-off. He did not wait long though, as Hill entered the game at the 3:35 mark of the first quarter. The only counting stat that Hill picked up before the conclusion of the first 10 minutes was a rebound in the final seconds. 

Granted some additional burn, Hill remained in the game to start the second quarter and quickly got into a groove. Grabbing his second rebound of the game before passing back and forth with teammate Jett Howard, Hill took a three-point shot that he sank without hesitation. 

Next time down the court, Hill immediately called for the ball and missed a step-back three. However, Hill got his own rebound and cashed in on a midrange floater. 

On the following play, Hill received the ball on the left wing, drove baseline and kicked out to a wide open teammate who was unable to convert from three-point range.

Hill was quickly granted some rest and, despite checking in on a couple of other occasions, did not put up another shot. He ended up reeling in his fair share of rebounds and ended the game with five, which was second only to Kevon Harris who played 26 minutes compared to 12 for Hill. 

Those looking to catch Hill and the Magic’s next outing can do so this Monday at 7:30 p.m. CT, where they will be facing off against the Indiana Pacers on NBA TV.

@blountco21