Matthew Mayer ends day three of NBA 2K24 Summer League without touching court

Former+Illini+Matthew+Mayer+and+the+rest+of+the+Houston+Rockets+bench+supporting+their+squad+against+the+Detroit+Pistons.+In+Houstons+second+game+of+the+NBA+2K24+Summer+League%2C+it+came+out+with+a+113-101+victory.+
Conor Blount
Former Illini Matthew Mayer and the rest of the Houston Rockets bench supporting their squad against the Detroit Pistons. In Houston’s second game of the NBA 2K24 Summer League, it came out with a 113-101 victory.

The Houston Rockets and Detroit Pistons met for their second game of the NBA 2K24 Summer League this Sunday afternoon. Both squads were coming off game one victories, with Detroit being at the disadvantage of being on the second leg of a back-to-back. 

Matthew Mayer, a 33-game starter for Illinois basketball during the 2022-23 season, quickly resorted to other options after falling out of the 2023 NBA draft. Within one day of the final pick being announced, Mayer agreed to join Houston’s squad for the Summer League.

The 2020-21 NCAA champion is coming off the most productive season of his five-year collegiate career. Averaging 12.5 points, 5.3 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game, Mayer’s time with Illinois had its highs and lows. Any given night could result in a Texas-esque perfect night from behind the arc or one such as his two-point outing against Arkansas in the NCAA tournament. 

Age, combined with the consistency issues, may have contributed to why Mayer’s name was not called, but his value as a shooter cannot be argued. When cutting out some of the ridiculous shot attempts Mayer was known to take during his time in Champaign-Urbana, he was undeniably lethal.

But unfortunately for Mayer, he signed with one of the youngest teams in the league who also have four former first round picks soaking up minutes at his position. Houston’s first game reflected that, as in a down to the wire thriller, the aforementioned first round picks accounted for 121 of the 200 available minutes. 

There was a bit of hope for Mayer after Amen Thompson, No. 4 overall pick in the 2023 NBA draft, was ruled out for the remainder of Summer League with a minor ankle sprain, but game two was much of the same.

A small consolation, Mayer once again got front row seats to a spectacular performance from teammate Jabari Smith Jr., who followed up a 33-point game-winning night with a 38-point masterclass. This time around though, Smith’s excellence quickly turned the game into a blowout that could have opened up minutes for the Dallas native.

When Smith checked out of the game midway through the fourth quarter to a standing ovation and holding a 25-point lead, it appeared as if the rest of the starters would be soon to follow. However, in Smith’s absence, Detroit quickly began to mount a semi-substantial comeback that required his return less than two minutes later. 

The Rocket lead was never cut below double digits, but it was cut by more than half and neither team dove deep into their bench. 

Just four teams have secured a 2-0 start, Houston being one of them, and with a potential Summer League championship well within reach it is becoming increasingly unlikely that Mayer will see the floor for legitimate minutes. However, uncertainty is what keeps the game interesting, and any number of factors could lead to the Rockets requiring a knockdown shooter to juice up their offense. 

After a day of rest, Mayer and the Rockets will play this Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. CDT on NBA TV against the Oklahoma City Thunder.

@blountco21