Former Illini Malcolm Hill sees increased role in Orlando’s 108-85 loss to Indiana

Former+Illini%2C+Malcolm+Hill%2C+driving+to+the+basket+for+his+second+made+field+goal+of+the+day.+Both+of+his+makes+came+in+the+fourth+quarter+of+a+108-85+loss+to+the+Indiana+Pacers.+
Conor Blount
Former Illini, Malcolm Hill, driving to the basket for his second made field goal of the day. Both of his makes came in the fourth quarter of a 108-85 loss to the Indiana Pacers.

Day four of the NBA 2K24 Summer League wrapped up with just one former Illini making an appearance. The Illini in question was Malcolm Hill, member of Illinois men’s basketball from 2013 to 2017, who played his second game wearing Orlando Magic blue and white versus the Indiana Pacers. 

The two squads had the opportunity to play in the larger of UNLV’s two active Summer League arenas, Thomas and Mack Center, for a nationally televised game on NBA TV.

Heading into their meeting, each team was in a completely different place. The Magic entered off a brutal game against the Detroit Pistons that saw a late two point lead ultimately turn into a double-digit loss, whereas the Pacers recovered an eight-point win over Washington after blowing a 20-point lead in the fourth.

Echoing back to Orlando’s first game, Hill started out on the bench and by the time Hill checked in late in the first quarter, they trailed 19-13. Shortly afterwards, before Hill could record any counting stats, it was time for both teams to retire to their benches for a brief intermission.

Hill remained in the game to start the second quarter, where after a couple of minutes he put up his first shot from behind the arc. It unfortunately did not fall, but after a 12 minute performance that saw Hill put up just three shots it was encouraging to see the increased aggressiveness. 

Prior to the halfway point of the quarter Hill was subbed out with a statline of one rebound and 0/2 shooting from the floor. From there Hill received an extended break that continued through halftime and well into the third quarter. Once he returned to the game, Hill immediately began to search for his shot once again, putting up another three point attempt on his first possession. 

A couple of possessions later, Hill came up with a steal before earning a pair of free throws with a driving attempt at the basket. Luck was not breaking Hill’s way, however, and one of his attempts from the line refused to drop. 

Orlando had been trailing by a serious amount ever since the second quarter, where at one point Indiana had even managed to double its offensive output (50-25), but a prolonged stretch of advantageous exchanges (18-9) throughout the third quarter cut the lead ever so slightly to begin the fourth.

Sitting at a deficit of 78-62, Orlando’s luck began to run out. There was no extreme run from the Pacers, rather the continual exchange of one or two point swings began to fall in their favor. Before checking out for his final time of the night, Hill found his offense when it mattered and dropped in two layups. Finishing with a statline of five points, one rebound and one steal, Hill played in 13 minutes and was just -5 in a 23-point, 108-85, loss.

Hill and the Magic are back in action on ESPN this Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. CT, taking on the New York Knicks in search of their first win of Summer League.

@blountco21