Marcus Domask makes NBA Summer League debut for Bulls, discusses adjusting to pro game

Sahil Mittal
Marcus Domask enters the game for the Chicago Bulls at the 2024 NBA Summer League on July 13 in Las Vegas.

After signing an Exhibit 10 contract with the Chicago Bulls, former Illini Marcus Domask made his debut for the team at the NBA Summer League on Saturday afternoon against the Milwaukee Bucks.

Domask checked into the game off the bench with just under four minutes to go in the first quarter. On his first defensive play, the 6-foot-6 guard stayed in front of a driving TyTy Washington and recovered well to contest Washington’s shot when he made a hard stop into a step-back jumper. Domask’s size and ability to competently defend guards who are quicker than him was apparent on every defensive possession.

“I think I’m a really underrated defender,” Domask said after the game. “I’m going to be in the right position always, and I think I can cut off the ball handler. You know I have decent size and length for my position. I feel like defensively I have the smarts and tools to really help a team.”

With just over a minute to go in the first quarter, Domask took his first shot, a contested layup off of a left-wing drive, but it didn’t fall. At the end of the first, the Bulls trailed the Bucks by one, 26-27.

Domask stayed in for the beginning of the second quarter and immediately went to work. Thirty seconds in, Bulls forward Julian Phillips missed a three, but Domask was there to clean up, crashing to the rim for a putback layup, giving him his first points as a professional. Domask subbed out with just under seven minutes left in the half and didn’t return for the rest of the game. Chicago led 50-46 at the end of the first half and ended up holding on to secure the win 96-89. Domask played seven minutes, scored two points, grabbed two rebounds and blocked a shot.

“Coming off the bench in a different role that I haven’t really played before, it’s way different,” Domask said. “The pace of the game is faster, and just my role, you know not having the ball as much. At Illinois I kind of had the ball most of the possessions. So just kind of getting comfortable in new roles with different guys.”

Despite the growing pains of becoming a professional, a new role and a different style of game, Domask is confident and ready for the challenge, especially playing for the Bulls, one of multiple teams that offered him a chance to play after he went undrafted in June.

“Chicago was showing the most love from the start. I felt like they saw a plan and a future for me, so you know I just feel comfortable with the people in Chicago,” he said. “I just want to show that I’m a winner. No matter what role you want me to play, I can play it, and I can help a team win. I’m just looking to get better and produce wins.”

Domask joined Illinois teammates Quincy Guerrier and Terrence Shannon Jr. in going pro this season, and all three are playing at Summer League, with Guerrier suiting up for the Toronto Raptors and Shannon playing for the Minnesota Timberwolves. Illini fans will be glad to know that despite now being on different teams, they are all keeping in contact and staying supportive of each other as they navigate life as rookies and adjust to the NBA.

“Me, TJ and Quincy, we were on a FaceTime call, the three of us, not too long ago,” Domask said with a smile. “You know, we stay in touch; we just want the best for each other.”

Domask will next play on Sunday evening when the Bulls take on the Golden State Warriors for their second game of the 2024 NBA Summer League.

@sahil_mittal24