Illini para athletes compete in NCAA Track & Field Tournament

Photo Courtesy of Illini Athletics
The Illini men and women’s wheelchair track and road racing team.

For the first time in history, eight Illini para track and field athletes are competing at the NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Tournament at the University of Oregon this week.

On Friday, four Illinois athletes competed in the men’s wheelchair 100-meter final. 

Illinois’ Evan Correl won the race by more than a second with a time of 14.33 seconds, making him the men’s wheelchair 100-meter national champion. Jason Robinson secured second place with a time of 15.37 seconds, Phillip Croft took third place in 15.58 seconds, and Noah Echelberg finished in fifth place with a time of 15.82 seconds.

This tournament marks a significant milestone as the NCAA, in collaboration with the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee, expanded last year to include wheelchair events for para athletes in three sports — tennis, track & field and basketball. This collaboration aims to enhance the inclusion and recognition of para athletics within collegiate sports.

The tournament will continue today with the women’s wheelchair 100-meter final. Four athletes — Bree Doll, Rachel Cleaver, Hannah Dederick and Hoda Elshorbagy — will represent Illinois in the final this afternoon.