Valentin’s double gives Reds win over Brewers

Cincinnati hitter Adam Dunn watches his two-run home run against the Brewers in the fourth inning on Sunday. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, DARREN HAUCK

AP

By The Associated Press

MILWAUKEE – Javier Valentin had no chance to prepare for his pinch-hitting appearance. He responded with a game-winning double, helping the Cincinnati Reds to their first winning road trip in more than a year.

Valentin’s bases-loaded, two-run double in the eighth inning gave the Reds a 7-6 victory over the struggling Milwaukee Brewers on Sunday.

Cincinnati’s backup catcher did not take batting practice, ran in from the bullpen before the at-bat and did not have a chance to swing at a pitch Sunday until getting to the plate. He drive on a 3-2 pitch from Scott Linebrink (4-4) bounced over the left-center field wall for a ground-rule double, scoring Jeff Conine and Edwin Encarnacion to give the Reds their first lead in the game.

“It was difficult,” he said. “You have no chance to get loose, no chance to get ready.”

Valentin, a switch-hitter, is batting .297 against right-handers and .213 against left-handers. He expected the Brewers to bring left-hander Brian Shouse into the game, so he took his time getting in from the right-field bullpen.

Instead, Milwaukee stayed with Linebrink, a right-hander, and Valentin had to get ready quickly.

“All you try to do is make contact and get one out of the infield,” he said. “I’m so happy.”

Linebrink was holding left-handers to a .214 average since joining Milwaukee in a trade from San Diego on July 25 while right-handers have a .257 average against Shouse.

“I like Linebrink right there in that situation,” Milwaukee manager Ned Yost said.