‘Big Z’ loses on short rest; Cubs tied atop Central

AP

Carlos Zambrano heads back to the dugout after striking out in the fifth inning against the Cincinnati Reds at Wrigley Field in Chicago on Tuesday. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, CHARLES REX ARBOGAST

By The Associated Press

CHICAGO – Carlos Zambrano wasn’t sharp on short rest, and Aaron Harang and the Cincinnati Reds knocked the Chicago Cubs out of first place in the NL Central with a 5-2 victory Tuesday night.

The loss coupled with Milwaukee’s 9-1 win in Houston left the Brewers less than a percentage point ahead of the Cubs. Chicago has 10 games left.

David Weathers worked the ninth for his 31st save in 37 chances.

Edwin Encarnacion homered and had three hits for the Reds.

Zambrano (16-13) is 2-4 in six starts since agreeing to a five-year, $91.5 million contract on Aug. 17. Working on three days rest for the first time, he lasted just 5 1-3 innings, giving up seven hits and four runs with three walks and a hit batsman.

Zambrano also was pitching at Wrigley Field for the first time since Sept. 3 when he was booed loudly as he left following a poor outing against the Dodgers. He pointed to his head as he left the field to say he heard the fans and then criticized them after the game before apologizing the following day.

On Tuesday night, the Cubs’ ace had some trouble during the first three innings with his control as the Reds built a 3-0 lead.

Norris Hopper singled to lead off and Jeff Keppinger was hit by a pitch before Brandon Phillips hit an RBI single. Keppinger was caught in a rundown on the relay throw and tagged out, dousing what could have been an even bigger inning. Adam Dunn was walked intentionally before Encarnacion singled for a 2-0 lead.

Javier Valentin’s double, a sacrifice and RBI single by Hopper made it 3-0 in the second. Zambrano walked the first two batters in the third but was aided by Encarnacion’s double-play grounder.

Harang held the Cubs hitless for the first 3 2-3 innings before Aramis Ramirez and Matt Murton singled in the fourth. Mark DeRosa, coming off a 5-for-5 game, walked to load the bases before Jacque Jones bounced a two-run single in the hole past Phillips.

Encarnacion’s homer to left, his 14th of the season, made it 4-1 and came one batter after Zambrano had been visited at the mound by trainer Mark O’Neal and manager Lou Piniella.

Valentin drew a bases-loaded walk off Kerry Wood to push it to 5-1 in the eighth.

Notes: Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said the team was awaiting a ruling from Major League Baseball after it played Monday night’s 7-6 loss under protest, claiming Piniella made an illegal double switch because he didn’t go to umpire before crossing the foul line. Interim manager Pete Mackanin said before the game he hoped the protest would be dropped. …

DeRosa was 10-for-10 in his previous two games against the Reds before flying out in the second. …

Zambrano dropped to 1-4 against the Reds this season and could pitch against them during the final weekend of the season in Cincinnati.