Gifts for guys: music, movies, money; Oh My!

By Christina Merced

Gray and black striped sweater from Ralph Lauren: $36.00. White iPod nano from Apple: $199.00. Xbox 360: $399.99. Figuring out the perfect gift to buy a guy this winter season: Priceless.

‘Tis the season of giving, but when it comes to men, shopping can be quite difficult. As guys get older, their holiday wish lists tend to alternate between entertainment and necessity. This year, technological gadgets, clothing, cologne and media stocking stuffers are located at the top of the list.

According to personalshopper.com, the top gift recommendations for men, aged 18 to 25, include portable, hi-tech equipment, cologne, DVDs, and video games. Striped scarves, ribbed zipper sweaters, and plush slippers are among the top clothing items for men’s gifts.

Guys do not just need new clothes; they have to smell good, too. Vera Wang for Men and Clean Men by Dlish are two fragrances listed as great gifts.

Personalshopper.com lists the iPod nano and the Panasonic SCHT692 750W DVD Home Theater System as items that every technological, cultured guy has to have for the New Year. To complete one’s home entertainment center, three must-haves are the newly released, multi-functional Xbox 360, Xbox 360 video games and DVDs, such as the Star Wars Trilogy.

Not only do guys want to add to their media collections, but they also want to be able to fix their new appliances with the most advanced tools. The N2U Home Handyman 21-piece Tool Kit, priced at $44.99, has pliers, screwdrivers, a utility knife, measuring tape and a hammer. Another desired item that will be especially helpful for cars during the winter is the Coleman’s Jumpstart System with Air Compressor PMJ8161, $49.99, which is used to fill deflated car tires.

For some college guys, creating a Christmas list is difficult. John Warner, a senior in Engineering, finds that he does not realize the coming of Christmas and the season of giving until two or three weeks before Christmas day, which is when he begins to tell his parents what he wants for Christmas.

This year, Warner is requesting a digital camera and the new Coldplay and Foo Fighters CDs.

Mike Nodulman, junior in LAS, however, is more prompt and decisive when it comes to creating a Christmas wish list.

“I usually ask for just one thing and then my parents think of crazy things to give me,” he said.

This year, Nodulman is requesting a gift that will keep him entertained for more than 10 hours during winter break: the extended Lord of the Rings-The Motion Picture Trilogy, which comes with 12 disks.

Christmas for Nodulman is about receiving that one gift that he asks for and he celebrates “commercially…not religiously,” he said.

Isaac Carpenter, senior in LAS, celebrates Christmas, but finds that spending time with family is much better than receiving gifts.

“Christmas for me has turned into seeing family and spending time with them,” he said. “I used to make a list, but since I’ve been in college, I really don’t (anymore).”

The one item Carpenter did say he wanted was money because he is unsure, at this point in time, of what he wants. Carpenter also said that some of the more popular gifts this year are iPods, cologne, and socks because everyone needs them.

“You can’t go wrong with socks,” he said.

Russell Smith, a retired consultant for the University and a resident of Champaign, also knows about the necessity for clothing such as socks, hats and scarves.

Smith said clothes are popular items for men his age. He also said that whatever men ask for is dependent upon their needs. However, this year, Smith is not asking for clothing. All he wants for Christmas is good health and peace around the world. He said that as long as a person has good health, he or she does not need anything else, especially material possessions.