Rep. Johnson shows leadership on engagement with Iran

By Robert Naiman

Our representative in Congress, Tim Johnson, is an original co-sponsor of a bipartisan resolution (H. Con. Res. 321) introduced by Reps. Gilchrest and Murtha which urges President Bush to support a comprehensive diplomatic initiative in the Middle East aimed at helping to stabilize Iraq, including direct U.S. engagement with Iran and Syria, as unanimously recommended by the bipartisan Iraq Study Group.

As Gen. Petraeus stated in congressional testimony, “there is no military solution” to the problems of Iraq.

In its recommendation for engagement with Iran and Syria, the Iraq Study Group said: “the United States should engage directly with Iran and Syria in order to try to obtain their commitment to constructive policies toward Iraq and other regional issues. In engaging with Syria and Iran, the United States should consider incentives, as well as disincentives, in seeking constructive results.” The resolution co-sponsored by Rep. Johnson calls for this recommendation to be implemented.

The resolution also calls for implementing the recommendation of the Iraq Study Group that, “There must be a renewed and sustained commitment by the United States to a comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace on all fronts.”

I want to express my profound gratitude to Rep. Johnson for his leadership on these issues.